Why did I get smaller size on hard disk than I bought?

Bought a 1TB hard disk and got 908GB? Feeling cheated? Same thing for the flash drives, you can expect 14.8GB for 16GB flash drive.





This happens mainly because of difference in the computer's interpretation of GB and the how it is labelled on box. Technically speaking, the storage sizes on computers follow this principle :


1 kilobyte = 2^10 bytes = 1024 bytes

1 megabyte = 1024 kilobyte = 1048576 bytes

Whereas for marketing purpose, they calculate it as 

1 kilobyte = 10^3 bytes = 1000 bytes

1 megabyte = 1000 kilobyte = 1000000 bytes

This is essentially done to show an inflated size to the customer which looks more appealing.

Thus 1 terabyte on box = 10^12 = 1,000,000,000,000 bytes

On computer it shows as ((((1,000,000,000,000/1.024)/1.024)/1.024)/1.024 = 909 GB

This may change from company to company and some may show 903 GB some may show even 920GB.  

Arindra Mishra

A blogger, a photographer and an Engineer. I write about technology, engineering and photogrpahy.

0 comments:

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted after scanning for spam or offensive messages.